Baldwin County, Alabama
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
File #: 19-2181    Version: 1
Agenda section: Other Staff Recommendations Status: Passed
File created: 10/3/2019 Meeting type: Baldwin County Commission Regular
On agenda: 10/15/2019 Final action: 10/15/2019
Agenda item title: 2019 High Risk Rural Roads Program for Unshielded Bridge Ends - Bid Award and Warrant Payable
Attachments: 1. ALDOT - Concurrence of Award Letter - CO TRANS, 2. Invoice (REDACTED), 3. CR 87 Location Map, 4. Hoyle Bryars Location Map, 5. Scranage Rd Location Map

Meeting Type:   BCC Work Session

Meeting Date:  10/15/2019

Item Status:   New

From: Joey Nunnally, P.E., County Engineer

Submitted by:  John Sedlack, Design Tech III

______________________________________________________________________

 

ITEM TITLE

Title

2019 High Risk Rural Roads Program for Unshielded Bridge Ends - Bid Award and Warrant Payable

 

Body

STAFF RECOMMENDATION

Recommendation

Take the following actions:


1) Authorize the Chairman to send a letter to the Alabama Department of Transportation (ALDOT) in concurrence of awarding the contract for the 2019 High Risk Rural Roads Program for Unshielded Bridge Ends to C&H Construction Services, LLC; and

2) Authorize the Clerk/Treasurer to process an interim check issued to ALDOT for County funds due in the amount of $35,323.70.

 

End

BACKGROUND INFORMATION

 

Previous Commission action/date: 

May 21, 2019: Approved Resolution #2019-089 for the repair of unshielded bridge ends at the following locations:

 

County Road 87 over Styx River

Scranage Road over Horseneck Creek

Bryars Road over Interstate 65

 

March 19, 2019: Approved Resolution # 2019-061 and a construction funding agreement between the Baldwin County Commission and the Alabama Department of Transportation to repair Unshielded Bridge Ends at the following locations for an estimated construction cost of $184,870.00 with 90% funding ($166,383.00) provided by the 2019 High Risk Rural Roads Program and the remaining 10% match ($18,487.00) funded by Baldwin County:

 

County Road 87 over Styx River

Scranage Road over Horseneck Creek

Hoyle Bryars Road over Interstate 65.

 

July 3, 2018: The Commission authorized the Chairman to send a letter of intent to the Alabama Department of Transportation (ALDOT) for funding through the Fiscal Year 2019 High Risk Rural Roads (HRRR) Safety Program for guardrail and end anchor installation on Unshielded Bridge Ends at the following locations:

 

County Road 87 over Styx River

Scranage Road over Horseneck Creek

Hoyle Bryars Road over Interstate 65

 

Background: 

 

On January 11, 2019, Baldwin County was approved for the 2019 High Risk Rural Roads Program for Unshielded Bridge Ends (Project No. 02-064-18). There were three (3) bridge locations that met the requirements under the program. The Project estimate is $184,870.00 with 90% ($166,383.00) being reimbursed through the program and the remaining 10% ($18,487.00) coming from County matching funds.

 

On September 27, 2019, bids were opened by the Alabama Department of Transportation. The low bid received was $205,895.95. Due to limited funding in the High Risk Rural Roads Program, the additional funding needed ($84,183.50) will be deducted from Baldwin County’s Federal Aid Balance ($67,346.80) and the remaining 20% match provided by Baldwin County ($16,836.70).

 

Baldwin County’s total matching funds required for the project is now $35,323.70 which includes funds approved during the regular meeting on March 19, 2019.

 

FINANCIAL IMPACT

 

Total cost of recommendation:  $35,323.70

 

Budget line item(s) to be used:  0206418.5150

 

If this is not a budgeted expenditure, does the recommendation create a need for funding?  N/A

 

LEGAL IMPACT

 

Is legal review necessary for this staff recommendation and related documents? 

N/A

 

Reviewed/approved by:  N/A

 

Additional comments:  N/A

 

 

ADVERTISING REQUIREMENTS

 

Is advertising required for this recommendation?  N/A

 

If the proof of publication affidavit is not attached, list the reason: N/A

 

 

FOLLOW UP IMPLEMENTATION

 

For time-sensitive follow up, select deadline date for follow up:  N/A

 

Individual(s) responsible for follow up: 

Administration Staff place concurrence letter on Commission letterhead. Clerk/Treasurer to process an interim check issued to ALDOT for County funds due in the amount of $35,323.70.

 

Highway Department submit payment and supporting documents to ALDOT for the project award.

 

Action required (list contact persons/addresses if documents are to be mailed or emailed): 

Mail Correspondence contact:

 

Mr. D.E. Phillips, Jr., P.E.

State Local Transportation Engineer Alabama Department of Transportation 1409 Coliseum Blvd. Montgomery, Alabama 36110-2060

 

Additional instructions/notes:  N/A