Baldwin County, Alabama
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
File #: 19-2192    Version: 1
Agenda section: Other Staff Recommendations Status: Passed
File created: 10/8/2019 Meeting type: Baldwin County Commission Regular
On agenda: 10/15/2019 Final action: 10/15/2019
Agenda item title: 2019 High Risk Rural Roads Program for Repair of Unshielded Bridge Ends - Resolution No. 2020-017 and Supplemental Funding Agreement
Attachments: 1. Supplemental Agreement No 1 (REDACTED), 2. CR 87 Location Map, 3. Hoyle Bryars Location Map, 4. Scranage Rd Location Map, 5. *GM1 - Resolution 2020-017 SIGNED

Meeting Type:   BCC Regular Meeting

Meeting Date:  10/15/2019

Item Status:   New

From: Joey Nunnally, P.E., County Engineer

Submitted by:  John Sedlack, Design Tech III

______________________________________________________________________

 

ITEM TITLE

Title

2019 High Risk Rural Roads Program for Repair of Unshielded Bridge Ends - Resolution No. 2020-017 and Supplemental Funding Agreement

 

Body

STAFF RECOMMENDATION

Recommendation

Approve and authorize the Chairman to execute Resolution No. 2020-017 and Supplemental Agreement No. 1 to the High Risk Rural Roads Program Project (HRRRP) - Installation of Guard Rail and End Anchors Construction Agreement, (approved during the March 19, 2019, regular meeting) between the Baldwin County Commission and the Alabama Department of Transportation which includes additional construction costs of $84,183.50 with 80% Federal Aid funding ($67,346.80) and the remaining 20% ($16,836.70) funded by Baldwin County.

End

 

BACKGROUND INFORMATION

 

Previous Commission action/date: 

May 21, 2019: Approved Resolution #2019-089 for the repair of unshielded bridge ends at the following locations:

 

County Road 87 over Styx River

Scranage Road over Horseneck Creek

Hoyle Bryars Road over Interstate 65

 

March 19, 2019: Approved Resolution #2019-061 and a construction funding agreement between the Baldwin County Commission and the Alabama Department of Transportation to repair Unshielded Bridge Ends at the following locations for an estimated construction cost of $184,870.00 with 90% funding ($166,383.00) provided by the 2019 High Risk Rural Roads Program and the remaining 10% match ($18,487.00) funded by Baldwin County:

 

County Road 87 over Styx River

Scranage Road over Horseneck Creek

Hoyle Bryars Road over Interstate 65

 

July 3, 2018: The Commission authorized the Chairman to send a letter of intent to the Alabama Department of Transportation (ALDOT) for funding through the Fiscal Year 2019 High Risk Rural Roads (HRRR) Safety Program for guardrail and end anchor installation on Unshielded Bridge Ends at the following locations:

 

County Road 87 over Styx River

Scranage Road over Horseneck Creek

Hoyle Bryars Road over Interstate 65

 

Background: 

On January 11, 2019, Baldwin County was approved for the 2019 High Risk Rural Roads Program for Unshielded Bridge Ends (Project No. 02-064-18). There were three (3) bridge locations that met the requirements under the program. The Project estimate is $184,870.00 with 90% ($166,383.00) being reimbursed through the program and the remaining 10% ($18,487.00) coming from County matching funds.

 

On September 27, 2019, bids were opened by the Alabama Department of Transportation. The low bid received was $205,895.95. Due to limited funding in the High Risk Rural Roads Program, the additional funding needed ($84,183.50) will be deducted from Baldwin County’s Federal Aid Balance ($67,346.80) and the remaining 20% match provided by Baldwin County ($16,836.70).

 

Baldwin County’s total matching funds required for the project is now $35,323.70 which includes funds approved during the regular meeting on March 19, 2019.

 

FINANCIAL IMPACT

 

Total cost of recommendation:  $16,836.70

 

Budget line item(s) to be used:  0206418.5150

 

If this is not a budgeted expenditure, does the recommendation create a need for funding?  N/A

 

LEGAL IMPACT

 

Is legal review necessary for this staff recommendation and related documents? 

No

 

Reviewed/approved by:  N/A

 

Additional comments:  Standard ALDOT Agreement

 

ADVERTISING REQUIREMENTS

 

Is advertising required for this recommendation?  N/A

 

If the proof of publication affidavit is not attached, list the reason: N/A

 

FOLLOW UP IMPLEMENTATION

 

For time-sensitive follow up, select deadline date for follow up:  N/A

 

Individual(s) responsible for follow up: 

Administration Staff have the Commission execute the resolution and agreement and return to Highway Department (John Sedlack) for submittal to the Alabama Department of Transportation.

 

Action required (list contact persons/addresses if documents are to be mailed or emailed): 

Mail Correspondence contact:

Mr. D.E. Phillips, Jr., P.E.

State Local Transportation Engineer

Alabama Department of Transportation

1409 Coliseum Boulevard

Montgomery, Alabama 36110-2060

 

Additional instructions/notes:  N/A